Our orchard and kids corral is open every
Saturday & Sunday for apple picking & family fun
September 10th- October 30th
Stowe Farm is an old family working farm and orchard. We take pride in the hard work we put into producing top-quality fresh fruit. Growing apples is not only our family's passion, but the Stowe’s 6th generation way-of-life. We invite you to visit us for apple picking for the best healthy snack or for slicing up to bake in delicious pies. Spend an afternoon relaxing in our scenic orchard while finding joy in picking your own produce!
Apple picking begins in September with many juicy varieties ready for your family to pick. Since there are several varieties in each orchard, trees are color-tagged to make picking easier. We provide the bags for you to fill, and our educated staff is happy to answer any picking questions.
September is a great time for picking our Macintosh, Empire, Macoun, Cortland, and Honey Crisp apples. Our October orchard is loaded with late season apples, that include Jonah Golds, Candy Crisps, Fujis, and Ida Reds! Because this orchard is more than walking distance away, a complimentary wagon ride will be provided.
Occasionally, these trees are still bearing fruit into the first weekend of November, so just because it’s cold out, the apple picking isn’t over! Contact us to see what apples are available then!
1 Peck – 10lbs. | $25.00
1 Bushel – 25lbs. | $40.00
Any parties of 6 or more are required to purchase more than one bag—this way everyone in your party can have plenty of apples to bring home!
We accept cash or credit card.
- Please buy the appropriate PYO bag from the white tent before entering the orchard.
- Please pick only from the designated trees, as not all varieties are ripe at the same time. We want you to get the ripest, best apples from us!
- As our family and staff at Stowe Farm spend many hours hard at work caring for our apple orchards, we ask that you please make every effort to pick any apples you drop and purchase them. We sincerely appreciate your cooperation to ensure that no apple is wasted.
- Please fill bag or container flush, not heaping, so your precious apples will not bruise or fall.
- We recommend that you place apples into the bag gently to avoid bruising–that way they last longer!
- We also recommend that you keep your apples cool and only wash your apples until just before using to prevent spoilage.
- Per Massachusetts health regulations, no dogs (or other pets) are allowed in the orchard or the farm area.
- Please never leave children unattended.
- While we try our best to tidy our orchards for poison ivy, please be vigilant and stay away from any poison ivy.
- Please never climb trees, shake or break branches, or throw fruit. A little twist and lift is the best way to pick your apple! If it is ripe, it will pick easily.
- Please stay in designated areas, so as not to damage gardens or get hurt.
- Please carry out all trash and deposit it in the proper garbage receptacles.
Apple Varieties and Availability
We love all our apples, but keep reading to learn a little more about the varieties we have at our orchard!
- Macintosh: Harvest in early September through early October.
Flavor/Texture: Tangy and more tart than sweet. Tender and juicy flesh.
Uses: Great for snacking and applesauce!
- Macoun: Harvest in mid-September through mid-October.
Flavor: Extra crisp and sweet.
Uses: All-purpose apple, but best for eating.
- Cortland: Harvest in mid-September through early October.
Flavor/Texture: Sweet and juicy with a hint of tartness.
Uses: All-purpose apple, but best for salads and fruit plates since they don’t brown easily.
- Honey Crisp: Harvest late September through early October.
Flavor/Texture: One of our favorites! Great balance between sweet and tart. Extremely juicy and crisp.
Uses: Great for eating, baking, or making sauces.
- Gala: Harvest early September through early October.
Flavor/Texture: Sweet with crisp, yellow flesh.
Uses: Good for almost everything, but best for applesauces. Mellow flavor and thin skin makes them amazing for kids!
- Jona Gold: Harvest through October.
Flavor/Texture: Tangy-sweet with crisp flesh.
Uses: Great for basically everything, but best for eating and salads.
- Candy Crisp: Harvest through October.
Flavor/Texture: Sweet as candy while being firm and crisp.
Uses: Best for eating!
- Fuji: Harvest through October.
Flavor/Texture: Extremely sweet apple. Very firm, crisp, and juicy.
Uses: Amazing all-purpose apple.
- Ida Red: Harvest through October.
Flavor/Texture: Equally sweet and tart. Juicy.
Uses: Excellent for applesauces and baking. (They make a beautiful pink applesauce!) Great for eating and salads.